“I definitely owe myself an apology for all the s*** that I let slide in my 20’s” (SZA). Being a twenty-something-year-old was flat out hard (for lack of a cuter word). There was a ton of doubt, first-time sorrows, ego-bruising, and to top it off…I grew an entire human in my uterus. Talk about the ultimate growing pains. 30 is definitely the new black. Not because it makes me feel better when I say it (ok, maybe a little bit), but all the acquired knowledge, experiences, and perspective I have now makes life a little more enjoyable and carefree. Time out. No stage in life is without trials (let’s be super clear). My 30’s have also had their peaks and valleys. But, one thing is new…age is all of a sudden a ‘thing’. And the beauty regimen…it definitely takes a lot longer as I’m deliberately fighting back against ALL signs of aging with a lot more tools in my designer fanny pack. So, what do I serve my couture skin these days? Pull up a seat, and let’s get into it!
Petit Déjeuner (Breakfast): In this order
- Drunk Elephant Jelly Cleanser – A non-irritating, light, and satisfactory cleaner for all skin types. However, if you prefer something heavier + with a lather, this is not the one for you. ($32.00)
- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toning Solution – A concentrated toner that nicely exfoliates and blends uneven textures. ($8.70)
- The Ordinary Caffein Solution – Who knew I could get a double serving of caffeine every morning! If you need to wipe away dark circles or reduce puffiness under your eyes, please give this baby a try. The science behind it is: the combination of caffeine and highly-purified Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside (for a quicker read, EGCG) work together beautifully to put those raccoon eyes to bed for good or while the bottle lasts. ($6.70)
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid – This magical liquid delivers a multi-depth hydration with a boost of Vitamin B5, visible plumping, and an all-day glow. Filler without the filler? I’ll take it. ($6.80)
- Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer – Addressing the elephant in the room…YES, this bad boy is expensive, but the last time I checked…we only get one face. A cream that improves tone and texture while aiding with firmness. The Protini is like having a shot of protein for collagen support, maintenance, and loss prevention. ($68.00)
- Glossier Super Glow – Who doesn’t want to grow and glow all year ‘round! If you’re in search of a brightening serum…give this one a try. However, I do have something to confess. After finally realizing that any excess moisturizer or serums for your face should be shared with your hands, I started using this one for my hands only. Even more so because the super glow effect was a miss on my face. ($28.00)
- Sunscreen – This is a tricky one depending on personal preference, so I endorse the one that works best for you….just please do me a favor and APPLY IT. Sunscreen prevents acne scaring and wrinkles; it’s the cherry on top for any morning routine.
- Lip Balm – Recommendations: Bite Beauty vegan lip balm ($14.00), Ohii Lip Jelly ($8.00)
Le Déjeuner (Lunch): Keep it lite
- Trader Joe’s Rose Water Facial Toner – For a refreshing pick me up, this bottle is at your service. Contains real Damask rose water, Damask rose oil to bedew and moisturize, Witch Hazel for balancing and toning, and a tiny bit of Soapbark extract to soften and condition. Most importantly, it smells like roses. So, when you find a moment to reset and smell the roses, you will actually do just that. ($3.99)
Diner (Dinner): After cleansing, freestyle the order
- Eve Lom Cleanser – A rare, multi-function formula packs an exclusive combination of essential oils: Clove oil pinpoints blemishes and stimulates clear skin, Eucalyptus oil to battle toxins, Hops oil to tone, Egyptian chamomile oil softens and soothes, and Cocoa Butter moisturizes. This is cleanser has been the holy grail for my face. It leaves my skin purified from the day’s gunk, but also feeling silky and replenished. ($80.00)
- Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask – I use this one 2-3 times a week for a deeper cleanse and to minimize my pores. The Umbrian clay has a high mineral content and it dries pretty fast.
- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toning Solution – Details above
- The Ordinary Caffein Solution – Deets up top
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid – Scroll up, please
- The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% – Reduces signs of aging, like retinol, but without the irritation. ($9.60)
- Lip Balm – Optional, but who wants to wake up with a dehydrated pout?
If we could all sleep on our backs….maybe gravity would be enough. But, I can’t take that chance in my 30’s. Ladies, invest in your skincare while you can, because there’s no going back once you cross the threshold of botox and fillers.
*Note: The Suspicious 6 (essential oils, drying alcohols, silicones, chemical screens, fragrance/dyes, and SLS) are not found in any Drunk Elephant products. They support the International Elephant Foundation and are cruelty-free.